Welcome to our blog! By our blog, I mean Gina's blog. Gina being me. Gina would like to welcome you to Gina's blog. Oh hell, you know what I mean.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Moving...Again.

I know, I know, we move around so much. When Brogan's in Kindergarten we will be staying in one place for sure, but until then, I think it's good to be able to change our mind. We like Saratoga Springs, but it is so far out there..far to provo, salt lake, and the traffic into lehi is terrible. We decided to get somewhere near Brandon's job downtown in SLC.

After a few weeks of looking, we were a little discouraged. The problem with the older homes up there (or rather the landlords)is you never know what shape the house will be in. You'll look at the pics, but once you show up, it's an entirely different story. We finally decided on a great little house and were ready to sign a lease..

When Brandon was like -- "Maybe we should look at this house." I obliged him, mostly because he said it for weeks and I always said no. It just looked too good to be true, plus it said LBGT friendly, and I really wanted to save it for a family that might not get equal housing. So we went, and it was in the Marmalade district. Marmalade is this amazing area right by the capitol building, 5 minutes from Brandon's office, and filled with these restored turn of the century homes.

We walk up to the door and were greeted by a lovely couple and I was like, this house can't be in our price range! Well, it wasn't because the first thing he said was, "let's take you back". We were like..uhh..okay...So we walk through their amazing yard and go through a couple of gates and all of a sudden..there's a house. The house. I knew it before I went in. It was like the secret garden. Doug and Nick keep the landscaping beautiful. They told us that they bought their house in the early 90's and then bought this one in a bank sale. They have since restored it. Nick really likes to keep with the integrity of the period which is why the house is like going through a time tunnel.

It has a porch. Gardens. Big picture windows. a 400 sq. foot loft upstairs that is painted a muted purple and the kids insist on making their room. All hardwood floors. As far as neighbors are concerned, you can see the roofs of their house. It's so private, within walking distance to the Elementary school and is pretty much the coolest house ever.

There is no way, I thought, that these guys are going to rent to us. They mentioned they have been busy showing it for 2 weeks and are looking for the right people. I didn't think they'd want us because of our rugrats. They said they never had a family in 8 years they have had the house. I made a couple of gay jokes trying to butter them up. Brandon says it was overkill, but I say I was pretty charming, because we got the house!! They love our kids, were impressed with how we handled them (go figure), and are so excited to make the yard fun for brogan ("he loves to dig so we thought we'd get some railroad spokes out here and build a little box for his trucks and things."). They get a kick out of Lil and her fabulous drag queen shoes.

So, we signed a lease for August 1st, even though our lease here in Saratoga isn't up until the 31st. So now I get to take my time moving and cleaning!

2 comments:

loriallen said...

Awesome! I want to see some pics of this awesome house! It sounds totally cool! Good for you! I hope you have fun, but on Facebook you said it didn't have a dishwasher? That is definetly staying with the time period of the home, if it's from the 50's!

Anonymous said...

AH!! and UGH Where are your pictures???? You paint this incredible house -I feel like I'm reading a great novel and I'm excited to get to the end to see the pictures and then..... disappointment! ahhhh! Girl you better be posting those soon or I'm going to beat you! :) Congrats on such an amazing house! So excited for you!

In memory of my DD

In memory of my DD
My champion, my heart, and the woman I hope to be like one day.That sexy broad = My Aunt Donna