I've been getting this question a lot but I want to have it written (typed?) down forever and ever.
How was it?
It was one of the best experiences of my life. I reconnected. I made a mends. I laughed almost as much as I cried. I got to meet my friends little ones. I got to introduce lily to some of the people who helped build Gina. My heart swelled with pride when I showed Lily off to my friends and family. Lily got to meet the Jakubowski's, and boy did she have a good time. We stayed with my best friends growing up, who lived next door. I couldn't believe it was like nothing had changed and everything had changed. I introduced Lily to my Aunt Roe, who I was so close to growing up.
Going H-O-M-E was truly therapeutic. It made me consider life and what I want out of it. I once heard this saying that old friends are the best mirrors. I got to see where certain things I do come from, and I got to see how I am so different, yet exactly the same. I got interrupted! Stories were retold and exaggerated! We all spoke with our hands! I soaked it all in. I watched the traffic on Tree RD. I went into the house I grew up in and let myself feel. I went to all of my favorite spots growing up. I saw the Ocean and I cried. I was home.
I laughed so hard that my face hurt when I got back to Salt Lake.
Lily was so present during the whole trip. She ate it all up, even after a red eye flight she was ready for whatever I had in store for her. She got to know where I was from, and still talks about the friends and family she met on Long Island and in Queens.
[On a side note, all of my friends and family walked away relatively unscathed from hurricane Irene. Just some fallen trees and flooding but nothing major.]
I wish Brandon and Brogan could have come. Brandon would have loved to see me in my element. He would have enjoyed the sightseeing, food and of coarse his favorite thing, coffee. Heck I may have never wanted to leave! It really would be the only thing that would have made this trip more special. I can honestly say "next time" because I know now that life is too short to not make sharing it with people you love a priority. While "home" will always be where Brandon and the kids are, H-O-M-E is Long Island.
No comments:
Post a Comment