Welcome to our blog! By our blog, I mean Gina's blog. Gina being me. Gina would like to welcome you to Gina's blog. Oh hell, you know what I mean.

Friday, January 11, 2013

My Birth Story

I really wanted to write this out while it was still fresh in my mind. :)Wednesday (11/9) started out like any other day. I had been feeling a little crappy for a day or two but that was nothing new to me. I wasn't having contractions,just feeling tired,having some tummy issues,and getting over a cold. Looking back I had a few signs of impending labor (so I've heard) like bursts of energy, tiredness, low low baby, and having to use the bathroom a lot. With Brogan and Lily I was induced on my due dates in the hospital. I thought I would have at least until my due date (1/14) this time. We hadn't picked a name yet and we had barely got back to a routine after the holidays. Getting back to Wednesday, I was so tired that day but chalked it up to getting over the cold. Lily and I layed down and watched Lion King then I took her to preschool. While she was at preschool I had some soup, cleaned, and watched more TV. I just felt like I needed to rest. Then I went to pick the kids up and we drove up to Lily's tumbling class, not before stopping at Coldstone for a treat :) While lily was at tumbling Brogan and I went to the grocery store. As we were walking around I started feeling achy in my back and a little crampy.I had things in my cart but I felt like we had to go back to lilys class and relax. We went back and watched Lily and I started feeling more crampy. The drive home was horrible. I hit rush hour (which I'm used to), and had 3 contractions (not used to). My knuckles were actually white and my hands were sore by the time I got home. It was only a 35 minute drive. I got home at 545 and told brandon I had to take a bath and I was having contractions. I wasn't sure though because they were so short. I thought taking a bath would tell me if it was real... I knew false labor would stall if that were the case. After a long bath,eating, sittin, standing, nothing helped. They were coming. I still wasn't convinced I was in labor. You know when someone dies there are stages of grief. This was similar in that I honestly was the stage of denial and uncertainty. These contractions started in my back and went to my stomach, about every 6 minutes and lasted 45 seconds each. At 7 I texted my midwife and told her what was going on but I wanted to make sure this was "it". At 8:15 I texted her again because they were four minutes apart and lasting about a minute. They were getting a little intense. I couldn't even finish the dishes!! We decided to call dennis and wendy to come get the kids and Marren (one of my closest friends who is a natural birth instructor volunteered to be my doula)was getting ready to come over. Brandon was blowing up the tub in our bedroom and I was listening to my hypnobabies birth day affirmations. I was scared. That was the stage I was in at that moment. I got my picture of aunt donna out so I could see it from the tub, changed, and sat on my birthing ball for a little bit. At some point in between all this, I think after brandon blew up my ball but before he blew up the tub, the kids and I sat and watched tv while I timed contractions and then brandon put a show on for them in the basement.Around 9 (ish?) my midwife showed up,followed by Marren and my inlaws.The kids were very interested in the birth tub and wanted to be by me but I was starting to need silence. I had my hypnobabies CDS on which were helping me a TON. The kids said goodbye to me and I sat on my birthing ball a while. I had an IV because I had group B strep, which is a bacteria some women have during labor that they want to make sure doesn't pass to baby so they give you antibiotics. I had that for a half hour and then I got in the tub around 10 (ish? I think.). I think when I got in the tub I realized oh man THIS is IT! I was listening to the "push your baby out" track on loop and practicing my breathing. Marren had showed brandon how to massage me which felt amazing. I had both of them hitting all the right spots the whole time. To have three people completely in tune with you is magical. My midwife was there overseeing and giving me tips and praise but being pretty hands off. In fact,she didn't even check me which I am greatful for because thats the worst thing about being in the hospital in my opinion. Hearing you've only dialated a tiny bit and feeling bony cold hands up yonder. I remember looking at my picture of aunt donna and thinking OK this is happening and tomorrow you will have a baby and that picture will be on your dresser still. Just get through this. Each contraction is like a hug to the baby pulling him out. Basically saying to myself all of the affirmations I had practiced these past few months (hypnobabies CD's). Once in the tub, I was changing postitions depending on which part of my body was going numb (lol). Squatting felt good, leaning against the side of the tub puttin my face in brandon's chest was the best. I was starting to get tired when I started to feel the urge to push. I didn't have any of the hospital's "purple pushing": when they count and tell you when to push and your face turns purple fro exhaustion. My body just knew what to do. I knew I had to push. Marren, Brandon and the midwife were saying positive things and words of encouragement,and with each contraction I would push until I felt burning. I knew what that meant,crowning. I didn't want to tear so the midwife had me control my pushes by breathing and holding the baby's head right where it was so it could stretch the tissue out. She suggested I lay on my back and push that way, so I flipped over and used my arms to kind of keep my butt off the tub floor, because in my mind this was less like the laying on your back position in the hospital. I have bad memories of that position in the hospital lol. She had me do this so I could feel down yonder and move tissue (nice word for my vag) out of the way. Once I did that it was a contraction and his head was all the way out (it had been peaking and going right back in,as it should). she said there's a chin!!I knew the worst was almost over. Did it hurt? Hell yeah it hurt. But I knew it was almost over. I gave a few good pushes and his body came right out. It was magical seeing him floating up toward me. The midwife put him on me (kind of pushed him over toward me and I grabbed him) and I just looked at him and said, " So you're the one". I don't know why. It was 11:07.I thought he felt heavy but he looked shorter than Lily was so I figured he was 8,8 1/2 lbs. He started nursing right away. He didn't cry or anything. I was like uh should he be crying? but because we wanted the cord to stop pulsing, he was getting all the oxygen and nutrients he needed and was happy as a clam. He was covered in vernix which we later rubbed in. It's like he had the creamiest lotion on in the planet. he still has the softest skin ever. Anyway, the tub was starting to turn pretty red so we decided to cut the cord a little earlier than we wanted to (about 10 minutes) because we needed to deliver my placenta to stop the bleeding. we cut the cord and daddy got to hold baby, and I got to get in my bed(which, since I know you are wondering, was covered in pads and things and didn't get any blood anywhere. not one drop in my house!). The baby went right back on me for some more skin to skin but also to nurse and help get the placenta delivered. While I held him I was given pitocin so my placenta would deliver right away. And it was. Best. Feeling. Ever. I DID IT! Now I could enjoy our baby. I had him the whole time. How different from the hospital when he's so far away. I loved it.Meanwhile, the midiwife took our stats, blood pressure,temps,etc, started cleaning up,and then took the baby to be wieghed.I heard gasps.This kid was 9.13!!!no way!! No one could have guessed that. I kept asking if the scale was broken. She then checked me more closely (9.13 lbs, 14 1/2 inch head, and NO stitches or tears. yay for mother controlled pushing!) and I got up and went to the bathroom and changed, and she finished up cleaning and did the full newborn exam. About three hours after he was born she left,after the most thorough newborn exam I had ever seen and detailed instructions of things to look out for for both baby and I . She also waited until my bleeding was under control. I asked Brandon for easy mac and then we stayed in bed.We still hadn't decided on a name yet. The baby slept and nursed that first night, but I didn't sleep at all. I just kept staring at him he was so beautiful. I was still having contractions and i was so thirsty so I was peeing so much I had to get up a lot. I honestly didnt sleep until the next afternoon.After I slept I felt so much better. In the morning the kids came over and we decided on a name...Benjamin Lee. "Lee" is a very special name, it's Brandon's Mom's middle name and My Aunt Donna's middle name,so we knew we wanted that for the baby's middle name. Ben was one of the names we liked and when he came out with those cheeks we just knew the kid was a Benny. I can't believe how fast and easy it was. Before I knew it, the day that started like any other had ended with this miracle baby! It was an amazing experience. He came into the world in an amazing way.

No comments:

In memory of my DD

In memory of my DD
My champion, my heart, and the woman I hope to be like one day.That sexy broad = My Aunt Donna