This past week my therapist asked me this question, and I've spent this entire week thinking about it. I realized that I really don't know. My best friend I haven't talked to in months because she's as crazy as I am, or more (love you amy!) and it's exhausting. I have other friends I'm close with but I came to realize this week that I put in to my friendships more than I get back. Now, part of this may be because of my codependency, but I think part of it is that I stay friends with people no matter what, even if they may not want to be a friend to me anymore. I realize how unhealthy this is so I'm trying to change it. My second assignment from my therapist was:
My friend "want ad" (applies to me and another person):
WANTED! a friend who is emotionally stable and has good boundaries. Someone who isn't showy or tries to make people feel inferior. A friend who understands the importance of being their authentic self. A friend who gives and takes equally, and who genuinely cares about the other person's life without being pushy with opinions. A friend who likes playdates with and without the kids, who enjoys dinner parties but also likes to go out and have a good time. Most of all a friend who talks and listens.
I think I did a pretty good job on that one! I've been feeling healthier than I have in a very long time. Therapy is a whole lot of hard work but totally worth it.
2 comments:
are you still hiring? hehehe. although i have boundry issues... i usually become too emotionally involved with my friends and their problems (i have references :) but!!! i have squishy shoulders that are good to cry on and i give good hugs... not like princess leia (i used to know how to spell that), AND I like to laugh till it hurts!
oh golly! i hope you don't think i don't want to be friends with you or that i'm a bad friend!! i was just thinking the other day that i missed you and called you to come play. sad face...i promise i'll be better - please don't fire me!
Post a Comment