

So, as many of our friends and family know (through facebook!), we've been really trying to decide about whether to expand our family. We were really thinking we were going to have another baby. I think we both love the idea of just.one.more. I still do. But with both of us in school, Brandon's work and the kid's schedules, it may be stressful...
And then Brandon showed me a show on netflix called "Dog Town" about an animal sanctuary in Kanab. I never considered myself a "dog" person, because, lets face it, my Dad's dog smokey is more of a person then a dog and I moved out after only a few short years with him. But when I saw those dogs and all they had been through and how lovely they were I just couldn't resist. I 'liked' them on facebook.
Brandon and I have always talked about getting a dog, down the line, when we sold our house in Idaho and had the Parker family estate (okay okay that last part's my words). It was something we always knew would happen but was far off. We had our little pet rats to keep us happy (and they still do). However, we think we are going to stay put where we are until we buy a house. For the first time since I've lived in Idaho I actually feel like I'm home! And where we live is a really good neighborhood for walking dogs, too. Plus, there are safety benefits for everyone -- not having to walk alone (me) and going for walk and staying active (brandon). And maybe people will stop trying to steal from us!! (I'm pretty sure the people who did that moved out)
And so, after looking over about a zillion dog types and going to the shelter, we couldn't stop looking at this one dog on the no more homeless pets website. We made arrangements, and met Ike. He was being fostered with a lovely family who took fantastic care of all the pets in their home. For me it was love at first sight. He reminds me a lot of smokey when he was 6! Plus, behind his big eyes there is a story, and I could relate to that. Ike was taken from a horrible hoarding situation and then made it to the animal sanctuary before being fostered. His foster family trained him incredibly well. While I am new to dog training I will follow what I know they did with him that has obviously worked so well!
The first night he spent crying. It was really sad. He really misses his foster family, but this afternoon, day 2, he's actually done a lot better. We took him for three walks today, and he was so tired by 7 he could hardly stand! He has also really taken to me. I don't know if it will stay this way or if he'll bond more with Brandon soon, but I sure like it!
One last thing. In some ways, I'm learning, having a baby is a lot like having a dog. I had no idea! Its an adjustment for the whole family, especially the kids so I've been making sure to make time for them as well. It's always difficult for them when I start school because they get used to having me home and then I'm gone twice a week or more. They love Ike and are so excited to have him here.
I keep thinking of the shirts I saw at Pride: Who rescued who? I feel that way about Ike. I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.
No comments:
Post a Comment